Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Scented Cupcakes with Mixed Berry Frosting





If you haven't picked up the September issue of SELF magazine yet, you must do so! This issue is filled with articles to help you build a better, healthier, happier YOU! Their feature article this month is titled The #1 Way to Erase 8 Pounds. With my diet at a stagnant plateau for the past month, this headline had me at hello!

After taking the quiz, it was concluded that I was a Bootcamp Style fit personality. After glancing over the doable diet, I made my menu plan for the week and headed off to the market for some fresh vegetables and produce. And I had hit the jackpot....The Fresh Market had blueberries on sale this week 3 pints for $10! So I stocked up and packed my cart full of berries. After following the diet for two days to a T, I only had one problem...I was left ravenous!! I knew I wasn't eating enough calories for what I was burning off at the gym, so later that night, I decided I needed to whip up a little treat for myself :)

With an obnoxious supply of blueberries from my splurge at The Fresh Market, I thought I would throw together some Blueberry Cupcakes. I found a great recipe on MyRecipes.com that featured a Blueberry Cupcake with a hint of Lemon zest in the base. I paired that with a buttercream recipe from Wilton's, adapted by omitting the butter and adding the simmered blueberry juice. The combination resulted in a decadent bite of berry bliss. Light, refreshing and not overly sweet.

For more details and baking instructions, follow the recipes listed below.

For the Cupcakes


  • 1/2 cups (about 6 3/4 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
  • 10 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
  • 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
  • (Fresh blueberries have an extra burst of antioxidant advantages compared to frozen)


  • Preheat oven to 350°.
  • Place 12 decorative paper muffin cup liners into muffin cups.
  • Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour plus 1 tablespoon flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Combine melted butter and egg in another large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add buttermilk, milk, and 1 teaspoon rind to butter mixture; stir with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Add blueberries with remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Fold blueberries into batter. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
For the Frosting

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening (1/2 cup additional if omitting butter)
1/2 cup butter softened
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons of milk

In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.

In a small sauce pan over low to medium heat, heat 3/4 cup blueberries or mixed berries combined with 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice. Continue to heat until blueberries burst and juice starts to lightly boil. Cool slightly and fold into icing.


No comments:

Popular Posts