Monday, January 16, 2012

French Vanilla Cupcakes with Banana Rum Frosting


Once again, I'm falling short on my promise to be blogging regularly each week. I've always had this crazy idea that I could easily juggle having a successful career, becoming a domesticated diva, volunteering for a good cause, and still managing to find time to have a social life and make it to the gym. But truth is...This shit is hard and I'm tired!! Not too mention, I'm hardcore dieting and cupcakes do not quite fit into the plan :(

So, my sincere apologies for being MIA, but I'll do my best to be more consistent.


That being said, I've sitting on this post for quite some time and finally have the time to reveal it. I recently hit the baking aisle at Giant pretty hard, stocking up on some of my favorite cake and brownie mixes. Usually I'm not one to take the easy way out, but boxed mixes can save a huge amount of time (and $$$). Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mixes are my go-to. Their light and fluffy with a powerful flavor that surpasses all other boxed mixes. I chose the French Vanilla for this cake base.

For the frosting, I was feeling a little creative and wanted to create my own concoction!! Hunting through cabinets, I was having trouble finding something uniquely delicious to add to my frosting. Until I saw......you guessed it...alcohol! I was immediately drawn to my bottle of banana flavored rum. Straight from the island of Nassau in the Bahamas, the banana flavor in this rum is so powerful that it tastes like the real thing! It's the perfect compliment for a vanilla cupcake.

Accessorized with a vanilla wafer for a glam look, these cupcakes turned out so cute and absolutely delicious!!!


French Vanilla Cupcakes with Banana Rum Frosting
Ingredients
Betty Crocker SuperMoist French Vanilla Cake Mix
1/2 Cup Solid Vegetable Shortening
1 Stick of Butter, Softened
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
4 Cups Confectioner's Sugar
2 (or 3) tbsp Banana Flavored Rum


Directions
Bake cupcakes according to box.
For the Frosting: In a bowl, cream shortening and butter with a mixer. Add vanilla. Slowly add the sugar. Slowly add the rum. If icing appears to dry, may add milk as needed for desired consistency. 





          Enjoy!!

No comments:

Popular Posts