Monday, April 9, 2012

Blue Moon Cupcakes


It's Opening Day for the Phillies!! And what better way to celebrate than with some beer infused baked goods. 


Having spent most of my life living within an hour's drive of Philadelphia, you'd probably expect me to be die-hard Philly fanatic. I'm sorry to disappoint, but this is actually the first year that I've jumped on the band wagon and I'm wearing my Phillies apparel proudly. In fact, today I will be joining thousands of fans as they tailgate, dink beer and pile into Citizen's Bank Park to watch the first home game of the season. This is my first opening day (and my first Phillies game, ever) and I couldn't be more excited! Even more exciting, is the delicious food and snacks for tailgating. Among them, Blue Moon Cupcakes!!

Beer and baseball have gone hand in hand since the beginning of time, so it was the perfect opportunity to get creative in the kitchen this week. I had recently seen a post on Sweet Tooth for Blue Moon and Corona cupcakes. With an overabundant supply of Belgian White in the fridge, I decided to give it try. The combination of cake and booze was decadent, with hints of orange bursting through the cake base and cream cheese frosting. It's the perfect amount of lager in the cake, not too overpowering, but enough to catch the lingering aromas that survived the baking process. A superb dessert option for any sporting event or beer enthusiast!

Make sure you're following me on Twitter to catch updates about my Opening Day festivities!!


Blue Moon Cupcakes
via Sweet Tooth

Ingredients:

For the Cupcakes
3/4 cups butter, room temp
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange zest
1 cup Blue Moon
1/4 cup milk


Directions:
-Preheat oven to 375* and line 24 muffin tins with liners
-Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt
-In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
-Add eggs (one at a time), vanilla and zest
-Combine milk and beer, add to butter mixture, alternating with the flour mixture
-Mix until well combined, then pour batter into cupcake liners, filling 2/3 full
-Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown


For the Frosting:
12 oz cream cheese
6 tbsp butter
1 tbsp orange juice, or orange extract
1 tsp orange zest
4 cups powdered sugar

-Cream together cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy
-Add the citrus juice, zest and powdered sugar slowly and beat until well combined.
-Using a piping bag, decorate each cupcake base as desired


No comments:

Popular Posts