Monday, April 30, 2012

Mini Mississippi Mud Pies


Sometimes I seriously question my time management skills. I seem to have this notion that no matter what I put on my daily task list, time will just keep rolling along until I accomplish everything.  You'd think I would have learned by now that this is not the case. The truth is, there is just not enough hours in a day sometimes. And two day weekends off from work fly by too quick to get things done! There is often little time left for baking and kitchen adventures.

I was almost tempted to go on a baking hiatus this weekend, but decided I could throw together something quick and easy peasy. Friday afternoon I embarked on a weekend getaway to the Pocono Mountains. What a wonderful escape! Saturday I had the privilege of being a spectator at the Tough Mudder 2012 challenge; So much fun!! An innovative and hardcore obstacle course, the strength and stamina of the participants was truly inspiring and motivating. I was so impressed, that I may even consider training for next year's challenge (that's a BIG maybe!)

This week's post is playing off the Tough Mudder theme from my weekend away. Mini Mississippi Mud Pies!  Being short on time, this was a perfect option to throw together last minute on Sunday evening. Simple ingredients, hardly any baking required, and delicious enough to satisfy any sweet cravings.




Mini Mississippi Mud Pies
Adapted via Martha Stewart

Ingredients:
For the Cookie Bottom
3 1/2 cups Oreo cookies crushed
5 tablespoons butter

For the Chocolate Pudding Filling
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 tsp salt
4 large egg yolks
2 1/2 cups milk
3 tsp butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 oz orange flavored dark chocolate

For the Whipped Cream
1 1/4 cup heaving whipping cream
2 tbsp sugar

To Garnish
Peanut Butter
Chocolate Fudge
Toffee Heath Crunch

Directions: 
-Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
-Melt butter and pour over crushed cookies; stir until combined
-Press mixture into the bottom of cupcake liners (I used re-usable silicone liners!)
-Place in the fridge for 10 minutes or until hardened
-Remove from fridge and bake for 10 minutes

-In a medium sauce pan, whisk corn starch, sugar, salt and cocoa powder for pudding
-Add egg yolks one at a time
-Slowly pour in milk and whisk constantly to avoid burning
-Place over medium heat and bring to a boil, still whisking
-Boil for 30 seconds, add butter, vanilla and chocolate pieces
-Whisk mixture until slightly cooled; leave stand for 15 minutes at room temp
-Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until entirely cooled (about an hour)

-Prepare the whipped topping by beating cream on high with an electric mixture until peaks form (about 1 minute)
-Add sugar and beat until combined

-Assemble by filling each cupcake liner with a spoonful of chocolate pudding
-Spread on a spoonful of Peanut Butter and drizzle with chocolate fudge
-Then add a mound of whipped topping (I used a piping bag to make it look nice)
-Sprinkle with bits of Toffee Heath crunch and Enjoy!!






No comments:

Popular Posts