Friday, June 22, 2012

Peach Cupcakes with Prickly Pear Frosting

TGIF!!


It's been an emotionally draining week and I couldn't be happier that it's coming to an end. As a Cancer  sign, I'm prone to being overly sensitive and moody. However, the past few days my emotions seem to have been on overload. Like the straw that broke the camel's back, the most seemingly insignificant occurrences have me breaking down in tears. Is it hormones, anxiety, love, fear? I may never know. But one thing is clear. When you're having a bad day or just going through a hard time, it forces you to do a lot of soul searching. And sometimes the hardest lessons to learn, are the ones that your soul needs the most.


I've learned a lot this week; about myself, relationships, friendships, what I value most, and what I want out of my life. I've also found comfort in some of the most unexpected places. Acquaintances have become friends and friends have become acquaintances. While i've probably shed enough tears to
rival Niagra Falls, I'm thankful for each and every one. After all, you can't truly know what it's like to be happy unless you've never known pain. You can't truly feel joy if you've never felt heartbreak. One thing I take away from this emotional roller coaster ride is that at any given moment, I have the power to say this is not how I want the story to end. But it's up to me to make a change.

Enough with the sentimental heart to heart, moving on to cupcakes!

This recipe was meant to be nothing more than a stress reliever. I have this horrible habit of starting to bake without checking all my ingredients first. Must. Stop. This! I'm up to my elbows in flour when i realize I'm out of vanilla, confectioner's sugar, butter, etc. etc. It's times like these that I resort to a semi-homemade concoction. Not always the best, but it's quick and easy. This was one of those times.

With a yellow cake mix in the cupboard, I needed something that would pair well with it, yet add some pizazz! Crushed pineapples have been a success in the past, so why not crushed peaches this time?! I was a little worried about the consistency of the batter at first, but I think the end result was a success. For the frosting, with no confectioner's sugar in the entire house, I was forced to use store bought. By adding a tablespoon of pink Prickly Pear syrup, the artificial taste was transformed into a sweet happy ending.





Ingredients:
1 box yellow cake mix
3 Eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2-8oz cans crushed peaches, with juice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp peach schnapps (optional)
1 can white whipped frosting
1 tbsp prickly pear syrup

Directions:
-In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, eggs, oil, juice from peaches and nutmeg.
-Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes or until smooth. Add in Peach Schnapps.
-Fill muffin tins and Bake for 12-14 minutes each.
-For the frosting, combine with prickly pear syrup in a large bowl
-Fill pipping bag and decorate cupcakes.





No comments:

Popular Posts