Monday, August 6, 2012

Tropical Pineapple Cupcakes with Mango Buttercream


Is it just me, or does summer seem like it's flying by?  We are almost done with the first week of August already. In fact, I did a little after-work shopping this evening and the stores are packed with sweaters and boots. Come on now, let's not rush things!

This past weekend was all about embracing what's left of the sweet heat of summer. Stopping by a backyard deck party on Saturday afternoon, followed by a night of music and beer at Musikfest, I enjoyed soaking up the sun while in the company of friends and those most important to me. Once the sun went down, Mike and I rocked out 4th row, center stage at the Sublime concert. Quite different from the Country and Pop concerts i'm used to attending! It was an all around perfect day, and I can't think of any place I would have rather spent my time.

Since I was all about the summer ambience this weekend, I wanted the theme to follow through in my baking. I opted for an adapted version of my Tropical Luau cupcakes. Omitting the Banana Cream pudding this time, I settled on a Pineapple cake base topped with a fresh mango buttercream frosting. For the finishing touches, dried mango slices and a fresh stemmed maraschino cherry. They were delicious!! Hope you all enjoy!





Tropical Pineapple Cupcakes with Mango Buttercream

Ingredients:

For the Cupcakes
1 box yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix
2 8oz cans crushed pineapple
4 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

For the Frosting
3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 ripe mango, diced or puree

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350*
-Drain cans of pineapple, reserving the juice in a small bowl
-Using an electric mixer, beat the reserved pineapple juice, cake mix, oil, eggs and nutmeg in a large bowl
-Beat for 2 minutes on high, or until completely smooth
-Using a spatula, fold in the chunks of pineapple
-Divide among cupcake liners, makes about 30 cupcakes
-Bake for 12-13 minutes
-For the frosting, cream butter until smooth
-Slowly add the confectioner's sugar, one cup at a time
-Beat in mango puree
-Fill piping bag with buttercream frosting and pipe onto cupcakes




No comments:

Popular Posts