Monday, March 4, 2013

Staying Strong



It’s tough being a young woman in the professional world. As you pursue your dreams, you always have to be careful of who you’re doing business with. Some people will try to make you, while others will try their best to break you. Most often, it’s difficult to tell the difference between the two. 

In my new position, I’m finding it difficult to be taken seriously and have been receiving a lot of push back from people I work with. I’ll be the first to admit that I have a lot working against me; I’m the new girl, I’m young, and inexperienced. But there are a few things about me that people seem to be underestimating; I’m smart, confident,  determined, I don’t take any bullshit and I get things done. That to me is a powerful combination and can often be construed as threatening. 

I’ve learned from experience that power struggles in the workplace often stem from one root; the desire to feel needed. Everyone wants to feel like their actions are the essential key to running a successful operation. It’s threatening when a new person comes into the mix and starts changing how you do business. It’s natural to want to suit up for battle and start defending your territory. 

The best way to cope with these situations is to not take it personal. Be so busy believing in yourself and following your intuition that you don’t have time to worry about others and their negative thoughts. “I can’t tell you the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.” Ed Sheeran  There is always going to be someone that will try to break you down and make you feel inferior to them. Forget about it. The only person you need to compete with in life is yourself. “I don’t believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be.” Ken Venturi.  




No comments:

Popular Posts