Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mother's Day Cupcakes




I've been out of my baking element for a while. Call it life, call it just plain lazy, but I've had no desire nor time to be in the kitchen working on new cupcakes. Hopefully that's all changing. I've been in a bit of a rough patch lately, with a demanding work schedule leaving little time for personal pursuits, It's really led me to start questioning what I'm doing with my life and decisions I need to start making. It seems as though the job of my dreams and the life I thought I always wanted, is not much the fantasy that I imagined it to be. With the hours I put in and the pay I receive, I might as well move to China and work in sweat shop. Funny thing is, my efforts are still not enough in the eyes of my superiors.

It's let me to question my priorities at the moment, and throughout the process I've been slowly finding my way back to me. Back to the things that bring me joy and make me who I am. And that means cupcakes!

I was offered the chance to bake for a birthday/Mother's Day celebration so it was the perfect time to test the status of my baking skills. Since I was taking these to a party, I knew I needed to go with a fail safe recipe that always brings me rave reviews. Simple, semi-homemade cake recipes with pretty sugar flower decorations make these the perfect sweet treat.


For the Tropical Luau cupcakes:

2 cans (8oz) crushed pineapple in juice

1 package yellow cake mix without pudding in the mix

1 package banana instant cream pudding mix

4 eggs

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/3 up vegetable oil


-Preheat oven to 350*
-Drain pineapple, reserving juice, set aside
-Beat cake mix, pudding mix, reserved pineapple juice, eggs, oil, and nutmeg in the bowl of an electric mixer for 1 minute    on low speed
-Beat 1 to 2 minutes on medium speed until smooth. Fold in pineapple chunks
-Fill paper liners 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown
-Pipe yellow buttercream frosting onto cooled cupcakes and adorn with toasted coconut and decor



For the French Roast Chocolate cupcakes:

1 package dark chocolate cake mix 

1 cup coffee (I used 2 k-kups of French Roast)










No comments:

Popular Posts