Saturday, June 29, 2013

Watermelon Cupcakes

It's officially summer! Warm weather, longer days and sunny skies are what I live for.

 
The last few weeks have been especially difficult, as I've seem to fallen into a rut of depression lately. As I approach the eve of my late-20-something-ish birthday, I find myself questioning what I'm doing with my life as I haven't seem to have made much progress since my last birthday...still broke, still do not have a place of my own, still stuck in the Lehigh Valley. It's definitely been wearing on me. But, at this moment, I'm choosing to not let my summer go to waste by being miserable. I'm choosing happiness, after all, "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I've ended up where I needed to be."-Douglas Adams.

To celebrate the start of a new beginning and a new way of thinking, I decided to do something that I haven't for quite some time...bake! And with the summer sun blazing with temps reaching the upper 80's today, I wanted something summer appropriate. And what's more appropriate than watermelon?!

These watermelon cupcakes are so cute and perfect for any get together or picnic. It's a semi-homemade recipe, so super quick and simple too!

 
 
 
 

Watermelon Cupcakes

Ingredients

1 box strawberry Duncan Hines cake mix
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
red gel food coloring

For the Frosting:
4 cups confectioner's sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tblsp milk
Green gel food coloring

Directions

1. Prepare the cake mix as directed on the back of the box, adding about 4 tsp red gel food coloring
2. After beating with the electric mixer thoroughly, stir in chocolate chips
3. Spoon into baking cups and bake as directed
4. Beat the butter and shortening together until smooth
5. Add in the vanilla extract
6. Slowly add in the confectioner's sugar, squeeze in about 4 tsp of green gel food coloring
7. Add milk
8. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and decorate with extra chocolate chips





No comments:

Popular Posts